Tuesday, January 10, 2006

A Popularity Faux Paux

Everyone says that popularity never resolves all issues; matter in fact, popularity causes more stress in peoples lives between the ages of 5 and 22 more than anything else.  Popularity is not about who knows you, it is about who knows your name, your vogue, and your establishment in a society.  Considering HS, I had none.

Fall 2001, I went to Polytechnic University, and by Fall 2005, I had established a popularity.  Not well known, or snobbish or anything, but recognizable amongst peers.  People knew my name, they knew what I politically stand for and knew who I was.  I achieved popularity.

What makes 2006 different from 2001?  ...different from 1997?  ...different from 1995?

Popularity is in all cases destructive.  It's a method of upholding an image.  From 0-17, attempting to achieve this made me feel jealous of everyone else.  However; 18-21 makes me feel self-conscious of maintaining popularity to that it becomes destructive from what I was known from 0-17.  Eventually, I would never be the same person.

Popularity makes others attempt other absurdities: like closure.  I had a couple of those moments of closure, since HS; none the way I hoped it out to be.  Eventually, I come to learn very harshly that those who remember you remember who you stand for (and not vogue), who you care for (not who you know), and who is friend (not who is acquaintance).  Sadly, it cost me a few friendships, a couple of narcaissicstic confessions, and a lot of soul searching.

The worst and foremost; people remember your brother because of who he cared, what he stood for, and who was friend.  People only remember you as "his brother."  In my case, I'm "Tarik's brother."  Nobody knows if you are older or younger, if you are talented and skilled or a friend or a nerd.  Popularity was my killer.  At least now at 22, popularity is no more since politics rules our lives.

"Friends don't let friends be popular."

No comments: