Sunday, February 12, 2006

Snow Wish

Apology?
I should apologize for my absence; albeit, should it really matter. The last couple of weeks have me in transport to Brooklyn at 5AM and leaving between 10PM and midnight. This mainly doing temp work for professors and assisting the softball program. It has been a tiresome time.

Snow Wish
At the moment, it's 5:06AM, and it is snowing. The suspiciousness of what I said is that NYC hasn't had a lot of snow this winter, and this being the first real snowfall, suggests fears of global warming, ozone depletion, etc. I'm for destroying the planet, but also for doing it at only certain levels. It has been ironic that it has been fairly wet, but rainy all winter, and that the temperature has been warm not to wear winter clothing as so much. Despite a few frigid nights, most of them haven't required winter wear.



Winter Wear
As I have gotten older, the actual look of winter wear has felt kind of lacking. My sweaters, fleece jackets, and coats have gotten thinner in wear. Body fat in adults is not the excuse. Temperature has been warmer. .8° from normal on the global scale is a huge difference. Because temperatures don't really rise or fall at the tropic levels, they're magnified at the poles, and throughout other temperate zones. Henceforth, it's been a lot warmer this winter than previous. Not to mention, the fashion industry profitted more on clothing in 2003 and 2004, when the temperatures were unbareably cold, and people would wear 5 or 6 layers to stay warm. More layers is more clothing and more money.




Winter Wear Coat of Now


Winter Wear Coat of Past

A Sense of Normalcy
At least knowing that there has been some real snow this winter, gives a little sanity that the weather hasn't gone completely out of whack. I remember April 1996, where it snowed in New York during the Yankees game vs. the Royals of Kansas City. I also remember two years ago, playing baseball in late March and about 5 minutes after the game it started snowing. More appaproe is that those winters were lacking in the snow department. Yes, it got cold, but it didn't snow. I'm assuming, as the characteristics of winter arise, the more comfortable I feel that things in general are not going completely out of whack.

Makes you wonder, could I ever survive in Seattle, or Denver? Apparently not.

No comments: